<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://littlehousedesign.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Little House Design: Craigslist/Thrifty Finds

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Craigslist/Thrifty Finds

Finding cool stuff doesn't have to take a lot of work. I browse Craigslist daily for about five minutes... not a big time commitment considering all the money I've saved by buying things on there. I also love to go to antique stores, thrift shops, garage sales, etc. Here are a few of my favorite finds:



When I bought my house it was filled with cheap builder's grade lighting. I found this amazing 1970s chandelier on Craigslist for $50... I'm so in love with it!



This little elephant planter was sitting on top of a tall bookshelf in an antiques store and I am so happy I spotted it. It was marked at $15 and I asked to pay $10 and she accepted. I planted aloe vera in it.



I found this amazing Union Jack dresser on Craigslist. Sometimes dealers who have booths at antique shops will list their stuff on Craigslist and this was one of those. I negotiated the price with the designer and I got it for $300. I'm not super proud of that... it is definitely more than I normally pay for things, but I was so in love with it I just really really had to have it. It is now the focal point of my living room and I'm happy I splurged.



This is a Kohler medicine cabinet that retails for $249. It was listed on Craigslist for $115, and I negotiated it down to $100. I haven't installed it yet, but I am so happy that I jumped on it. I'm using oil rubbed bronze fixtures in my bathroom so I'm toying with using ORB spray paint on this mirror, but I haven't made a decision yet.



This lamp was purchased a Salvation Army for $10. It was originally a cream color and the flowers were sort of off white. It had no lamp shade so I bought a red one at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20 and spray painted the lamp bright glossy white. I'm pretty happy with my $30 lamp.



I found these ceramic bowls at an antiques shop and I was afraid to look at the price tag because I loved them so much... but I was seriously surprised when I saw they were only $15! I mean honestly they are amazing and they look like $200 Kate Spade china.



These chairs were one of the first things I purchase on Craigslist when I moved back to Indianapolis. I'm not even sure why I got them but I just really loved them and they were only $30 for the pair! They are made of real wood and metal and they are actually pretty heavy. They are perfect chairs to have around for extra seating.



I'm really loving the idea of painting fabric furniture (see my Pinterest for DIY tutorials)... I bought these wingback chairs on Craiglist for my living room with the idea that I may paint them. I haven't done anything yet and they actually don't look that bad as is, but I may paint them someday. I paid $100 for the pair. I was going to negotiate down to $80 or $90 but I lost my nerve when I got to the lady's house. My advice, at least for myself, is to always negotiate first over email, phone, or text before going to pick up the furniture. Once you are in a person's home it is hard to hard bargain.

Those are just a few of the many things I have collected over the past couple of years. Happy hunting!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At August 17, 2012 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Lydia Kruse said...

Can I go antiquing with you, pretty please?

 
At August 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

YES.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home